Monday, November 9, 2009

Greek Ministry and Pioneering New Movements

Sorry it's been so long. Then again, I apologize for that just about every time I leave a new post. I won't make any promises to do this more regularly because I'll probably fail to follow through. :)

We're at a point in the semester where I am finally feeling like I know what I should be doing when I step on campus. There are so many different stories and happenings that I could highlight from the past several months, but for now, I'll just jump in at the most recent things.

A couple weeks ago as a form of outreach, our students decided to write out their “stories” and to post them online for everyone to see. The results have been overwhelmingly positive. Over 9,000 DIFFERENT people read at least one story in just the first week they were up and people continue to view them every day. Check out my story here: http://uwsi.wordpress.com/2009/11/02/chris-story/

But what’s even cooler is if you click on some of the other peoples’ stories on the right and hear first-hand how God has been working on campus at the UW-Madison in and through our movement. It probably won’t take long looking through the stories to find someone that decided to follow Jesus sometime in college. I’ve loved reading through many of these and hearing about how God’s worked on campus, many times without us even knowing it…until now!

This past Sunday night, we did our fourth presentation in a fraternity so far this semester. In about 12 minutes before the house meetings, we go in, explain what our organization is all about, what we do on campus, we share the Gospel and an athlete from campus like Chris Maragos or Luke Swan gives their testimony. So far we've been able to share the Gospel with over 130 fraternity men!

I've shared the Gospel many, many times (it's my job!), but there's something terrifying about walking into a Greek fraternity through the sticky residue left from the beer spilled the night before, out into the middle of 30-50 men. It's a completely different culture, both compared to the rest of the campus and because of the many backgrounds and religions of its members, and something I'm still getting the hang of. It scares me every time, but every time it turns out to be very rewarding and the feedback we've gotten has been incredibly positive.

Today, several of us went to UW-Whitewater in an attempt to surface possible leaders to launch a contextualized ministry nationally known as IMPACT, that is directed toward African-American students. On our way down, we had no idea what we would find or how productive the day would be, but through references of people giving us contact information for others they thought might be able to help us out, we were able to sit down and talk to four different believers on campus before we left for the day! We found that there were already several pockets of African-American believers on campus, they just don't know about each other, aren't very well resourced, and often don't really feel like they have a place on campus where they can come together and worship. It was a very fun and encouraging day, and hopefully the beginning steps toward African-American students being an influential presence on campus for the Gospel.

I make no promises, but stay tuned for more posts...

No comments: