Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Go Vote!

Sometimes, several days during a week can pass without me consciously thinking about the fact that I'm in East Asia. Yesterday was NOT one of those days...

As a pitiful excuse for a political science major, I had pretty much given up hope of voting since I wasn't able to send in for my absentee ballot soon enough and it seemed like too much work to pursue other ways of voting. It would stress me out when I was thinking about it and taking away from my ministry here, so I said the heck with it.

Until yesterday.

"All we had to do" was print off our emergency ballot and get it to a certain FedEx store and they would overnight it for free. Sweet deal. Okay, I'm in. It's a straight shot there on the bus, simple.

Five hours and three modes of transportation later, we finally returned home from voting.

I'll spare you the boring details, but let's just say there was a lot of walking, some very packed rush-hour buses, a ton of wandering around city streets (and some rural streets...oops), and a very, very small, tucked away FedEx shop smaller than most dorm rooms.

Moral of the story:

Even though I think both candidates would probably do a fine job if elected as president and your vote barely counts in the scheme of things (let's just be honest...and no, I don't need a lecture on this, I know how the electoral college works), go to the polls next Tuesday and voice your opinion. We Americans love to give our opinions and what better chance to do so than in a democratic election.

And you'll probably have a far easier time at it than I did.

-CK

No comments: