Monday, January 20, 2014

The Interview Heard Around the World, the Gospel, and My Own Richard Sherman Moment

Let’s go on a trip to a football field in a town somewhere in the middle of Wisconsin. I’m in 9th grade (pretty much the pinnacle of my playing days) and we just narrowly beat the opposing team after a struggle of a game that should not have been that close. Our team fought valiantly, worked together, and pulled out the victory, but in the heat of the moment as I walked off the field, I had this interaction:

My parents: “Hey, great job.”
Me: “I can’t believe they called a f@#%!& hold on me!”
My mom: [Face turns white in shock]

That was pretty much it. I walked the rest of the way to the bus, shocked that I’d just said my first curse word in front of my mother (and in such dramatic fashion no less!) and I was a nervous wreck the entire three-hour bus ride home, not sure what might be awaiting me in my next interaction with my mom!

(For the record, we’ve since joked many times about this incident, but no one ever spoke a word about it until I was in college and we could laugh about it!)

You probably know where I’m headed with this. While I thought the Richard Sherman interview last night was selfish, embarrassing, and ridiculous, I’ve been there and done that. (If you haven't seen the interview and desire to, scroll to the bottom of this page).


Yes, he’s a professional athlete (not a 9th grader) and should know when it’s appropriate to speak like that and that he probably shouldn’t be airing personal issues with another player on national television, but I’ll give him a pass for being caught up in the heat of the moment.

It’s probably that same passion and drive to be the best that has brought him to where he is in the first place, and like all of us, our strengths have inherent weaknesses if not kept in check.

But here’s my bigger issue with that interview…

Like my own outburst in 9th grade, he put the spotlight on himself after a fantastic football game and a great team effort. Instead of talking about what a great game the two teams played and how the Seahawks as a team collectively made up for each other’s mistakes and are now headed to the Super Bowl, we’re talking about Richard Sherman.

But if I’m honest, there’s a whole lot of that taking place in my own heart on a daily basis. Here are two ways I’m more like the Richard Sherman from that interview than I care to admit.

      1)   I compare myself to others to feel more valuable

Perhaps the hardest part of that interview was watching Sherman call out another player on national television. Yet, though I may not verbalize it, I constantly compare myself to other people – other musicians, other writers, other preachers, etc. I hate this about myself because it’s destructive to having a healthy and positive view of who God has created me – Chris Kopp – to be, and because in no way does it line up with the Gospel. For we are all created in the image of God, and all of us have been uniquely designed by our Creator with gifts, skills, and strengths that must be affirmed and celebrated. When I minimize my own value or that of another human being by playing the comparison game, it’s as if I’m telling God that He didn’t know what He was doing when He created the cosmos.

      2)   I’m constantly drawing attention and glory to myself and away from God

I have no glory or good of my own to show off since everything that I have been given is from God, yet how often do I do ministry or interact with others as if it’s me myself that’s awe-inspiring, worthy of worship, and has the ability to change lives? Every time I get on a platform without being dependent on the Lord to move and work, get positive feedback on something I’ve written and take all the credit myself, or get some other form of a compliment and neglect to in some way point to the actual Source of what’s good in me, I fail to worship and praise God as He deserves. I myself cannot change lives and I have nothing of my own that is good to give – all I can do is reflect God’s glory to others that He might be more fully worshipped.

If you’ve read many of my posts, you might be beginning to think that I’m either the most horrible, sinful person in the world or that I tend to exaggerate when I identify and claim the sin that I see in others. If either of those things are true, it’s probably the former.

But what I’m really trying to get at is that I don’t presume that most people are all that different from each other, myself included – whether liars, or cheaters, or adulterers, or gossipers, or boasters, or the arrogant, or the proud, or murderers, or thieves, or those who have been sent to prison - or those who gather in a place of worship every weekend.

The human condition of sinfulness and brokenness is universal and no one is exempt from contributing to the evil that we see in the world. We may know how to hide or harness it, and it might play itself out differently in all of us, but left unchecked, and if we don’t find the Cure, that 30-second interview with Richard Sherman is the least of our problems.

"It’s clear enough, isn’t it, that we’re sinners, every one of us, in the same sinking boat with everybody else? Our involvement with God’s revelation doesn’t put us right with God. What it does is force us to face our complicity in everyone else’s sin. 

But in our time something new has been added. What Moses and the prophets witnessed to all those years has happened. The God-setting-things-right that we read about has become Jesus-setting-things-right for us. And not only for us, but for everyone who believes in him. For there is no difference between us and them in this. Since we’ve compiled this long and sorry record as sinners (both us and them) and proved that we are utterly incapable of living the glorious lives God wills for us, God did it for us. Out of sheer generosity he put us in right standing with himself. A pure gift. He got us out of the mess we’re in and restored us to where he always wanted us to be. And he did it by means of Jesus Christ."    –Romans 3, The Message


-CK


No comments: