Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Do You Daily Live as if the Resurrection is True?


As I spent some time in silence this morning, I found myself evaluating how different my life might look if I truly lived every single day as if the Gospel is true. I mean, yes, I certainly believe that I’m sinful, that Jesus died for my sins, and was resurrected, proving that He has power over death and sin and that He is God – but on a daily basis, does the way that I spend my time, treat others, and spend my money truly reflect my belief that Jesus is the victorious King over the entire universe?

We already know the end of the story, that Jesus is coming back to renew and restore everything, and that all people will give an account for how they lived their lives.

In his book, The King Jesus Gospel, Dr. Scot McKnight suggests that the boldness of our evangelism has been removed by somehow taking the resurrection out of our gospel.

And I’m guilty as charged.

The resurrection of Jesus Christ stands at the center of history as the most important event that has ever and will ever occur. It’s either true, or it’s not, and the ramifications of which side we come out on change everything. If taken seriously, it’s impossible to live somewhere in the middle of this spectrum, as if the Gospel is half-true.

I would do well to live every moment of every day in light of the resurrection of Christ, desiring to not take another breath that doesn’t in some way glorify Him. The Gospel demands such obedience and worship.

At the end of the day, my apprehensions about boldly declaring the Gospel because I don’t want to alienate a friend or have someone think that I’m weird, or my apathy toward injustice and my unwillingness to spend more of my time and money in an effort to bring the hope of the Gospel to the least of these, or my tendencies to build my significance and satisfaction in life upon anything but Jesus Christ – all of these things should be decisively demolished in light of the fact that Jesus is risen, He sits at the right hand of the Father, and through Him, I have the power to affect real, significant, and eternal change in a broken, wounded world that is lost without Him.

So I ask, right this very moment, are you living your life as if the Gospel of our resurrected Savior is true?

God help us to live in a manner worthy of the Gospel.

-CK

*A quick note for those that might be reading this and haven't come to a decision about whether this whole Jesus thing is true: I compassionately but strongly urge you to look into it and figure it out. Read the Gospel of John, a good Christian apologetics book, or talk to a pastor. If you decide the resurrection is not true, then by all means, go about your life as usual - but if it's true, and I believe it is - then nothing else in all of the universe is more important. It simply changes everything.

No comments: