Thursday, August 23, 2012

Football, Worship, and Gilbert Brown

Luckily, for the Jews trying to do their best to obey the Law during the time of Alexander the Great, the  NFL and the Green Bay Packers were still thousands of years away from being formed, otherwise they would have been even more distracted. The Israelites would've loved Aaron Rodgers!

But as Greek influence in Israel increased, so did the temptation to let sports get in the way of obedience to the Law and to neglect their worship of God.

Sound familiar?

Often times as I read the Bible, I can't help but identify with the struggles and desires of the Israelites, but I couldn't help but laugh as I was doing my New Testament history reading for class. I feel a little bit better knowing that people have struggled for thousands of years with letting sports affect their relationship with God in some way or another, but it's also convicting.

Just last night I was joking with my wife and a friend that due to NFL games starting at 11 AM out here in a different time zone, I was plotting to find a Saturday night worship service so Sundays could be cleared out for football!

Note taken, God. As I prepare for fantasy football and get more and more excited for football season to begin, the last thing I want is for football to get in the way of my worship of and obedience to God.

Also, I'm glad our sporting events are no longer played in the nude. Imagine Gilbert Brown in nothing but...nevermind. Try not to picture that.

From markandersonprints.com

May God be at the forefront and center of everything that I do!

-CK


No comments: